Friday, March 13, 2009

Minimal Growth ... is still growth

Well, what had become fairly routine (for me) trips to the oncologist every 3-6 months gave us a bit more news than we were used to today. As you may know, while Heidi's primary tumor was removed in Oct of 2007, there was spread to the liver of over 20 lesions. 4 of those are essentially measurable in terms of 1.5 x 2.0 cm each. These 4 lesions (tumors) have shown some growth with the results of the last CT scan (1-2 mm on each measure). This is the progression of the disease and while a bit disconcerting is not the end of the world. It does cause us to consider next steps like starting what is called Sandostatin Long Acting Release (LAR) which are monthly shots that Heidi would get to attempt to slow any progression of the cancer. There have recently been studies out of Germany which have clinically shown this to be the case. The hard part is that there has also be some evidence that over time the effectivness of this drug can diminish. So we don't want to start it too early. Which begs the question, is this the right time. We will do some more tests to see if there are chemical markers on the rise along with the tumor growth to help us with the decision.

1 comment:

Evan said...

Hello, I found your site from the Oconnors. Chris is fighting the same thing that you are I are fighting Heidi.
Carcinoid Cancer. I had a whipple done last year and they removed my Gal Bladder and 1/3 of my Pancreas. I had several tumors go into my Liver as well. I did have a great treatment that I wanted to tell you about. it is called Therespheres.
It is basically little microscopic beads that are filled with Radiation that they inject into your liver via an artery in your thigh. it is fast, pain free and VERY effective. You can do a search on the web for it and if you have any questions you can see my Blog at www.fourfightinghearts.blogspot.com

take care and I hope to hear good news for you.

Evan

Michael & Heidi's Info

What is going on in our lives and occassional updates on Heidi's fight with Carcinoid Cancer.