Thursday, December 3, 2009

Carcinoid Update on Heidi

I was reminded today, how scary it was to hear that my wife had cancer (not nearly as scary as it was for my wife, I guess). I got a call just now, from a woman who was just diagnosed the day before Thanksgiving with Carcinoid similar to Heidi's. She found our blog through the www.caringforcarcinoid.org website and called my cell phone. I am so glad she did. Because the first thing I did was scour the web when Heidi was diagnosed. You find a lot of bad stuff out there on the web if you look for it. It is great to talk to someone who is living with cancer. According to what I read, Heidi would have already left us based on the "data". Thankfully, that is not the case. Heidi is doing well. While there are still cancer lesions present throughout her liver, they occupy less than 5% of the total volume and they were growing the last time we checked, albeit slowly. She went on Sandostatin which is a monthly injection of a drug which has shown to slow the growth and even shrink the tumors. We have our next check and results at the end of this December.

We have ridden two Pan Mass Challenges with the Caring For Carcinoid Foundation and raised $25,000 for direct research on neuroendocrine tumors at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. That is empowering.

No comments:

Michael & Heidi's Info

What is going on in our lives and occassional updates on Heidi's fight with Carcinoid Cancer.